I was recently asked to write a brief article for the Parent Perspective News Letter for the Early Intervention Parent Leadership Project (EIPLP). ( http://www.eiplp.org/ ) I am thinking that this may be just one of a series that I will write on Blogging since there are some many topics to discuss within itself. So I begin with Why Blog?
I didn’t know much about blogging when I got started. I pretty much just jumped in and figured it out as I went. You can too. Really! But first ask yourself why? I have thought about this a lot since being asked to share my experience with blogging. The how just happens. I feel that the “why” is most important factor when deciding to begin a blog.
Why do I do it? For me it began at the six month mark after receiving our son’s diagnosis and I felt like I had a lot on my mind. Things I needed to sort, things I wanted to remember, and things I wanted to share. My first post:
Six months ago we were first told of the possibility that Christopher fell into the PSDS/Autism Spectrum. Since that time a lot has been learned. A lot has been done and accomplished and still there is so much more to do. This blog has been created now for me to keep track of all this hard work that so many including Christopher is doing. And hopefully the team working with him now and in the future will find this to be a helpful tool. This blog may also serve as a place for family and friends to visit and check in on all the good things happening for Christopher.Thank you for visiting . . . come back again soon and often. Please keep in mind this is my first real blog . . .so I am kinda of learning as I go.
So do you have a why? Now you need to set yourself some goals. Like how often do you want to post? I found that in the beginning while I was learning it was great to make an effort to post at least one event, thought, picture, or what ever it took to get me on a roll. Some post are short others long, some with photos, some even with spelling errors. It doesn’t need to be perfect – you just have to keep at it. After a month I had the instant satisfaction of 32 posts to revisit and recall when ever I wished. It became and online journal slash scrap book. And I was hook. I started sharing the site address with friends and family for them to follow along on our journey too. What time of day is going to work best for you? Put it on your daily planner. For me it’s before the kids wake or after they have gone to bed. Interested in beginning your own blog? There are many Blog sites, I myself have found that Blogger has been easy to use and the service is free. Google the term “Blogspot” and it will direct you to your first step into the blog world.
I have been blogging now for a year and a half, and I can tell you there is nothing to fear. Again it’s your blog, so if you are worried about sharing too much information then don’t. Some bloggers use only nick names for their children. There are the obvious rules like never post your address, phone number and such. You can adjust the settings as you wish, having your blog be only viewed by people that you invite to it. I have now several blogs, some are open to anyone and others are closed for more personal thoughts that I am working on and only wish to share with trusted friends. Either way it’s up to you. I find that I not only gain from venting and sharing but over time I began to follow other blogs and now I have small network of followers that comment on posts. It’s nice to have the feedback and to know that I am not alone in my thoughts and challenges as we journey on.
No comments:
Post a Comment