Yesterday it was the 3 year check up. This was really hard on both of us. It began rough with the waiting in the waiting room. I had the usual clip board and endless questions to answer, and Christopher pretty much just screamed, not crying. The screeching sound he makes when he's is uncomfortable or unsure of whats going on. So I know there is little that I can do because leaving is the only thing that will make him stop, and thats not an option.
Oh, the stares I was getting! I am sure that his screeching was not pleasant to many but don't look at me that way lady you have no idea! It makes me so mad to be judged by strangers, even more mad that it bothers me some days more than others.
It also makes me mad that I show up 15 mins before the Dr Appointed time and you get led back to the room 15 minutes past the appointment time, and still wait another half hour after that! Come on people didn't you see what I went through waiting in the waiting? Now I gotta dance on my head and play with wood pop sticks with faces we drew on them with the crayons left on the counter.
Last time I came we walked in. I rarely use a stroller anymore but this time I remembered the long wait and him having the freedom to explore the medical establishment and me chasing him around wasn't gonna work. So today he's strapped in and I left him strapped in till the Dr came in. From now on for any regular scheduled visit I am taking the first appointment of the day only!
Ok this story could go on on and on but I need to wrap it up and get moving! Two sprays, one to each nostril for the flu, one shot to the leg, and an order to go to the lab for a blood draw. School requirement for lead test. Last year we skipped this because at the time he was also sick and I really didn't want to put him through it. Our house is new construction so is lead risk is low. Not like his big brother when we lived in NH, he actually tested at high levels and we had to make changes to the old house.
Ok off to the lab. YIKES! now more waiting in the waiting room. The lab techs are really nice I can tell they don't want to upset him but I let them know that is not possible and that he has sensory issues - just gonna have to get in there do it and be done. You get one shot at this. It takes 4 techs and me to hold him still enough. Tech thinks they got enough before he wiggled. If not too bad! We will NOT do that again. Dr can write a note or come up with another plan - neither of us is going through that again!
Poor thing got so worked up he didn't make it through the drive thru for his doughnut before passing out. Honestly I am pretty worked up about this one. Even writing it I feel the high level of anxiety rising . . . so with that story over till next post. Not even sure that I will reread this for errors in my writing.




No comments:
Post a Comment