Join us in our daily adventures of everyday life "the early days". The joys, the frustrations, the celebrations, the love, the learning, the patience, the . . . the list is long, the journey; so worth it!

Friday, August 27, 2010

Not so Friendly visit to Friendly's

So the other night we tried to eat as a family for a quick bite to eat at Friendly's.  We thought that Christopher would enjoy a dish of ice-cream while we enjoyed some dinner. WRONG! Complete bust. It was about 20 minutes before I called it quits and he and I went to the car while Dan and Daniel ate.  They brought my dinner to go when they came out.

I called it a complete bust, but thats really not fair.  Bust in that we didn't all get to stay.  However, success in that Christopher really did try.  He was completely communicating that he did not want to be there!  Lots of "No eat" "No thank you" "No sit" No, I go"  He was being very clear - it just took me awhile to give in and comply with his request to go.

For Dan Sr this was very hard.  I could his despair, his worry that this meant we could never eat out.  But not true.  We have had many successes with eating out.  Just not this time.

When he was leaving, the elderly man that sat in the nearest booth, wished him good luck.  Upon speaking with him further he told Dan that his younger brother also has autism.  This was good for Dan Sr to hear.  Not only was this man compassionate to the situation it proved to Dan that we are not alone on this island called Autism. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Words of compassion,encouragement,and love..God bless this man.
Poppy