Join us in our daily adventures of everyday life "the early days". The joys, the frustrations, the celebrations, the love, the learning, the patience, the . . . the list is long, the journey; so worth it!

Friday, December 4, 2009

Transitions

The ability to transition. I have observed that Christopher does really well with his transitions. For example he gets a verbal warning at night when "Nigh, Nights Time." is approaching and then the physical and visual cues of getting changed for bed, saying good night to Daddy, and Daniel, but then when it comes to going up the stair to his room I have to take a deep breath and go for it. He fights it the whole way, till I lay him in his bed and he smiles and lays there. I say good night and shut off the light. That's it done. Same with getting into his car seat, sometimes I feel as though I am on top off him to get him hooked up properly but then that's it done. I think that I work myself up over these little transitions because I do not want to have to push him till he is ready yet we have places to be, things to do. But stepping back and thinking about these transitions from his point of view, he's doing a great job.

Ever been so busy with more to do than you can get done and then the dog won't come in when you have to leave, you can't find your keys, you can hear your cell phone but you don't know where it is? And then someone asks you to pick up milk on the way home too? You want to shout - are you kidding me! Pick up milk?

It's not that picking up the milk is so difficult by itself but that you already have so much going on. OK well with all that set up here's what I think. I think that Christopher too has a lot going on in his little mind and we continually interrupt him through out the day with our request for eating, sleeping and going outside. All simple tasks, just like picking up milk from the store. So we help him. Much like a grocery list would help you to remember the milk, we help him with the tools, preparation, and skills he needs to make these transitions a bit easier for all involved.

No comments: