Join us in our daily adventures of everyday life "the early days". The joys, the frustrations, the celebrations, the love, the learning, the patience, the . . . the list is long, the journey; so worth it!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bowling - Ugh, sigh.


Ok - So bowling was fun . . . well it had it's moments.  At first it was great, then it got hard for Christopher to understand that we all got a turn and there were times you had to wait.  Then once the lights went dark and the neon lights came on with some rocking music that was it.  We lost him to the disc ball light reflections.  At one point he simply got away and ran the length over the ally horizontal to the lanes, which means he was running in front of people as they prepared to take a shot.  People laughed and thought it was cute - and I agree it did look cute - but I at that point had completely lost control.  Control of him and of my nerves.  We managed to get through one game, D, K and I but I then bowed out of the second and let D & K play on their own while I chased Christopher around before finally retreating to the car while they played the last two shots.  D & K bickered some of the rules of play and I didn't handle that learning opportunity well at all, it's so frustrating once I get to the point that I feel like I am holding my breath that Christopher will stay by my side and behave that I can't afford the proper and fair amount of attention to his brother.  This felt like a failing Mom moment for sure, though I know I couldn't have done much different it still felt yucky.  This is definitely not a one adult venture, Dan will have to come with me next time.  Although I really can't see myself trying this again any time soon, I know we will.  Christopher did enjoy himself and could learn to be better behaved once he understands the limits better.  But for sure it is a parent team event next time.

2 comments:

bgbowl said...

We are parents; that does not mean we are PERFECT parents. Chin up, girl. My son has Asperger's, and more and more I get more frustrated with MY bad choices as a parent during his breakdowns, and then more frustrated with him. I feel your pain, sister.

Chabott said...

Thank you - I know you are correct. I post this honesty for how I felt to share not just the joys of raising a son with Autism but the challenges we face as well. Thank for letting me know that I am not alone.